Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Team NordicSkiRacer.com Forum
 2006 NSR Pursuit Races
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DanMo

USA
133 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  12:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATE - Sneak peak at the preliminary run course...its only 2.6 miles so I'll have to add some more hills ;) It will be at least 3 miles.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player2/view.mb?episodePkValues=1215153

If you click on the "hybrid" button you will get an OK ariel photo, although it doesnt quite line up with the real world?!

Hey...

Hope everyones training is going well this summer. Just starting to workout some detail on the new(and improved?) NSR Pursuit Races for this fall.

We are going to move to Kensington for a change of pace. I'm looking at 3 dates right now....September 24th, October 22nd and November 19th. The new run course is yet to be finalized, but look to finish climbing up the sledding hill ;) The new venue will also bring a new format. After the last racer finishes the run we will have maybe 15mins? until the start of the ski which we will start in reverse order of the run finish at some sort of time interval(every 30secs or real time? or stage by ski speed?). The ski will hopefully start and finish at the same spot to eliminate that sometimes cool ski back to the car.

We will continue on the most improved format...maybe expanding that to the run, ski and combined. The transition will not count in overall time this year :(

More to follow and mark your calenders....

If anyone has any comments/suggestion/feedback post them here or let me know.

Dan Motowski
NSR Race Director :)

"Look for excuses and you will find as many as you need, but look for ways to get it done and you will also find them."

Edited by - DanMo on Aug 16 2006 9:12:44 PM

mmuha

USA
311 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mmuha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan - the Pursuit format is a great idea! I look forward to seeing the course.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

DanMo

USA
133 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  09:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I have the run course mostly finalized at least in my head. It should be about 3.2 miles and will include much more climbing than the old course....the finish is tough....maybe I'll just take pictures! ;)

There is a 0.3 mile section that is very rough and could use some work. Anybody up for some trail mantainence? We would need to some pruning and maybe some bow saw work on this section.

Let me know if you are "IN"...and we'll pick a day to do it. It may be a good rainy day activity?

"Look for excuses and you will find as many as you need, but look for ways to get it done and you will also find them."
Go to Top of Page

Genetic

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  6:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Genetic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan,
If I can help out on the day of trail maintainence, I'll be there.
The motionbased player is sweet! Is that done with a forerunner?
Go to Top of Page

DanMo

USA
133 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  7:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup...I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 its a fun toy :)

Go to Top of Page

mmuha

USA
311 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  3:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mmuha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We need a good name for this race. I propose...

"The Trail and Tarmac Pursuit"

Also, I thought it might be interesting to post this in some running club calendars and challenge the runners to beat the skiers in the run event. Maybe we can recruit a few over to the dark side...

Mike
Go to Top of Page

DanMo

USA
133 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  10:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike brought me back to earth and I think we are going to eliminate the "rough" section and opt for less work for the team, as well as a lesser chance to twist an ankle or get poison ivy ;) I was looking forward to an "adventure section" :(

We added some distance and it will be around 3 miles total. I'll run it next week and try to post the final course. If anyone wants to check it out with a guide I'll probably be out Wed at around 3:30 or Mike can give a good tour. My goal will be to try to get it marked with chaulk paint a week or 2 before the race so that people can check it out.

It should be tough...I just hope I can run the whole thing without walking! :)

I still have to finalize a ski course...any ideas? The plan is to start/finish at the paddle boat launch. I need to measure some routes, but we can go east or west from that point. In both cases we would use the bike until you came to a road crossing then use that road until the end and loop around the parking lot and return. Any other ideas and suggestions welcome, especially since I may not do the ski part?!

over and out....Dan

Go to Top of Page

mmuha

USA
311 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  08:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit mmuha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan, I skied lockwise from the paddle boat launch past Maple Beach, up the long hill, down the other side to the road crossing at Possum Hollow, then turned right on the Possum Hollow drive. Took the road to the turnaround and skied back.

Not a bad route - I didn't time my self. The right turn onto the road can be a little tricky and there's a short section (50yds?) of rough pavement.

I still have to try your other suggestion: go the other direction and turn left on the peninsula road to the end, then return - I think that might be a really great route.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

DanMo

USA
133 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  06:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is most of the final run course, I will be adding in a short section to get it to 3 miles.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player2/view.mb?episodePkValues=1370935

Dates will be 9/24, 10/22, & 11/19....I think we will be starting at 9:30am, check the calendar once Mike posts it. The ski will start with the last runner about 15mins after the run finish. The ski will start from the boat rental parking lot and either go east or west and return to the finish back to the start.

I may need a volunteer to help mark the ski course sometime before Sunday next week.

It should be fun/tough...be there! You have the option to just run or just ski, so their really isnt much of an excuse not to come out and hang with the team :) Thier will be at least recognition of the most improved runner, skier and combined times from the series(male & female), maybe we can come up with some prizes or hold a raffle type thing at the last event? Maybe a free weekend of watching my kids to the winner! ;)

See you Sunday...let me know if anyone is interested in a preview of the run course one night this week...you may be recruited to help mark the course ;)

Go to Top of Page

DanMo

USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey...is anyone planning on attending the pursuit race on Sunday? It looks like Forbush may still have snow based on the long range forecast? Before I go out and resupply with marking paint I need to know what the group is thinking....my guess is that people will be heading for snow to get some "base" in.

Go to Top of Page

Genetic

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  10:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Genetic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may come out for an earlier run. The 9:30 start is too late for me.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Hugh

42 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  11:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hugh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not me or Julie. We are off to England.
Hugh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-11 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000