Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 NordicSkiRacer.com Web Site Forum
 RSS feed -- thanks, Mike!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dms

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  11:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed the RSS feed on the home page. Thanks very much, Mike!

For those who aren't familiar with RSS, it is a protocol that, for us regular web site readers, lets us more quickly browse lots of sites that have regularly-updated content. You can read RSS feeds in Firefox, as well as web-based readers like Bloglines, or stand-alone readers like SharpReader. My NordicSkiRacer feed now joins feeds for FasterSkier.com, NENSA, XC Oregon, and rec.skiing.nordic (via Google Groups) in my RSS reader, and it's much faster to scan all the headlines that it is to visit each web site separately.

Also, as I told Mike, having an RSS feed can potentially increase the site traffic, making it more attractive to advertisers.

--David

mmuha

USA
311 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  7:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mmuha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

After you put the bug in my ear, I did a little research and realized it was just a couple hours of work! I'm also going to put the trail reports into an RSS feed - I just need to think a little longer on how it will work.

Thanks for the suggestion to implement RSS!
Mike
Go to Top of Page

dms

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  2:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, Mike! Glad to hear it wasn't too much trouble.

So I'll push my luck ;-) How hard would it be to add RSS feeds for the forums, too? It might increase the forum's use by making it easier to track new activity.

Having feeds for Google Groups has made the demise of my campus NNTP server a bit more bearable. I'm kind of old school about this -- to me, reading forums in a web browser is cumbersome compared to a lean and mean NNTP newsreader.

--David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-11 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000