Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 General Forum
 More reports about Start Grip Tape?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffOYB

USA
143 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  10:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have some Start Grip tape but I've never used it. I'm getting closer to giving it a try. I just love optimal skis. At the same time, I find myself very often in two situations where my fuss-factor is a bit too high. So maybe the tape could cure this.

The first situation is when I ski on my local trails, especially my yard trail. I have an idea what the wax will be and I go out and I'm wrong---I suppose I really need to check the temp just before I go out rather than hours before...(doh!) Yesterday I went for a quick half-hour ski---and changed wax 3 times---so I spent about half of my time coming and going as I didn't carry any wax with me. Maybe the tape could just nuke all that wasteage.

The second situation is when I go on multi-hour tours on ungroomed trails. We start in the a.m. and I find that I quite often stop and start about 6 times in an outing. It takes a couple stops until I get my first morning wax dialed in. Then during the day the temps warm up and I rewax twice, say. But my skis almost always end up with very tasty nice performance! ...Which is a good thing. Maybe I should just accept the time-wasteage in quality waxing. (But I note that this is where a study showed that a no-wax ski is faster for day-touring than waxable due to the starts/stops of rewaxing.)

Generally I find that my nowax skis are lame---good kick, half-good glide---but I use them in slushy/fresh conditions just to have some fun. But I find that my waxies can usually be made to work about TWICE as good as my nowaxies.

Is this tape going to feel too close to nowax lameness for comfort?

I value all my ski outings and my time. I don't really want to fuss with this tape then screw up even one outing or put in one useless shop session.

So do I stick with my tried'n'true methods that give great skis but have built-in time wasteage or try this new "simple" method that might cut out all that wasteage and fooling around...

Ha!

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com

melzar coulter

Denmark
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit melzar coulter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Caldwell had some good advice about this sort of thing. To paraphrase - when new ski technology comes out, let other people mess with it, and if it's still around in a couple of years then maybe look into it. Fischer Revolutions anyone? Paddle grips?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Olli

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had some success and some disasters with grip tape.I have it on some old rock skis.I think it glides better than waxless and works well on glazed tracks, good around freezing plus or minus a little.I just put a short amount in the klister pocket.If trails have any leaves on them you will collect bunches on the tape...face plant.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Rynalski

8 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  6:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like you value my skiing time, rather ski than wax. I have a pair of training ski's with the grip tape just for that reason. About 90% of the time it gets me by, some days are better than others. Kind of a universal wax in some ways. The grip tape is definately worth trying, you may have to tune in the length and thickness to dial them in. A little draggy compared to a waxed ski, but not bad. Try it !!!
Go to Top of Page

JeffOYB

USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  11:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've skied on the Grip Tape a few times now. In various snow temps. It seems dandy!

I put on less than klister amount to start---too little. I've added an inch at a time. Now I'm using less than my normal kick zone but more than klister---seems good.

It balks on debris but it doesn't imbed very much of it. Still---it picks up some leafage---about half as bad as purple klister, say.

I'm not expecting THAT much performance from it. It does seem a bit draggier. But I'm skiing in bushwhack trails anyway and in bad conditions. It's varying between 15 and 30 so far and I haven't had to fool with wax. It lets me get in the quick skis around my mile of yard trails that I like to do. But I only have one set of all-round skis! If we get some solid blue wax days soon I'll be in a bind. I supposed I'll scrape off the Tape... Hmmm... I need another pair of tour skis... (Anyone have 55-60mm wide tour skis, 210cm, for sale? Fischer Tour Light or Countrys, ideally.)

--JP

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
Go to Top of Page

Sacchoromyces Revenge

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  12:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffOYB
I need another pair of tour skis... (Anyone have 55-60mm wide tour skis, 210cm, for sale? Fischer Tour Light or Countrys, ideally.)

No way your getting my Countrys! I've got a pair in 205 (a little short for my tastes, but they turn nicer in the deep stuff) with NNN BC bindings. My other touring skis are an old (circa '79) Epoke 900 that are getting fresh NNN T3s next week. I got a pair of '85 Landsem go-fasties that I'm only slightly enamored with. If I had to part with any of them it would be them.

So, forgive my intrusion and my ignorance of the subject, but what is grip tape, or should I just google it?

BH

edit: Nevermind, I googled it. Seems like neat stuff for those "I need to ski five minutes ago" scenarios.

Where's my scraper?

Edited by - Sacchoromyces Revenge on Jan 12 2009 12:46:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

thebiggreenvan

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For variable conditions, particularly deep new snow and no tracks, try some old wood touring skis, the ones that are at garage sales for 10 bucks these days.

They expand the wax temps downward (you really CAN use green at -5C), and always seem to have kick.

They just arent worth it if you haf to ski in klister conditions, unless you really like tarring skis every day.

Of course, how many people even know how to pine tar skis anymore....

-d
Go to Top of Page

runfasta

26 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  3:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting off subject just a bit here but, your last point tbgv about pine tar brought back some great memories of my first wooden skis and the wonderful experience of applying it at the start of each ski year. Also, this writer shares his stories similiar to the rest of us? http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2009/01/days_of_wooden_skis_required_l.html
Go to Top of Page

Sacchoromyces Revenge

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The beauty of woodies is that when it's cold enough...single digits F...wax becomes superfluous. Now I wanna go searching for some Asnes, or Landsems. Pity no one in NE Ohio will have them lying around doing nothing...

quote:
Originally posted by thebiggreenvan

For variable conditions, particularly deep new snow and no tracks, try some old wood touring skis, the ones that are at garage sales for 10 bucks these days.

They expand the wax temps downward (you really CAN use green at -5C), and always seem to have kick.

They just arent worth it if you haf to ski in klister conditions, unless you really like tarring skis every day.

Of course, how many people even know how to pine tar skis anymore....

-d

Where's my scraper?
Go to Top of Page

JeffOYB

USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  6:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll get some more (ever more) NNN bindings and mount up the woodies I have. I have one pair with big camber that might work. Hmm, maybe I'll just try em with the 75's they have on.

In general though I want something lighter with groovier flex...but when it's ungroomed, yeah, the woodies might be the ticket. I recall them floating real nice last time...

But these days I'd like to try some 220's of some type.

Anyway, back to Start Grip Tape...I've been skiing the last week or so almost daily (including one 5 hr tour on Waterloo trail) with one ski with blue wax and one with tape and can't tell the difference...they both seem fine...OK maybe a touch draggy. Maybe it's time to go Green. I seem to get out midday when it's finally 15F and the Blue seems pretty good.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-11 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000