The Michigan Cup
Cross Country Ski Racing Series
Details around how races are scored.
Brumbaugh Cup scoring rules
Team NordicSkiRacers Jay Woodbeck and Kyle Hanson score the Brumbaugh Cup and have provided
example of Brumbaugh Cup race scoring (PDF). The example is based on
the 2020 Mike Seaman Race.
- Races designated for scoring of the Brumbaugh Cup shall always be the
races and distances scored for full Michigan Cup Points.
- There are no partial points races for the Brumbaugh Cup.
- A Michigan Cup partial points race shall not be scored for
the Brumbaugh Cup.
- The specific Michigan Cup full points races scored as part of
the Brumbaugh Cup shall be designated by the MI Cup Committee prior to the first
race of the season.
- Each Team's Top 5 Men and Top 3 Women shall be scored.
- Scoring is as following, with lower points being better:
- 1 point for first place in gender, 2 points for second place in gender, etc
- Once a team's top 5 Male skiers and top 3 Female finishers are scored,
any remaining finishers on that team will not be scored
- For teams that do not have a full roster: starting from the last
place scored skier, add one point for each open spot needed to fill a roster.
Example: A race consists of Team A with 4 Women and Team B with 1 Women. Team
A's finishers are 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and Team B's finisher is 2nd. Team A's
score is 8 points (1+3+4=8). Team B's score is 13 points (2+5+6=13). Team A's
4th woman does not score points and does not displace Team B's finishers or
- Any skiers not on a Michigan Cup Team Roster will not be scored. This
includes skiers who are registered as Michigan Cup Individuals but are not
affiliated with a Team.
- If a race has different course lengths for Men and Women, any Women who
elect to race the Men's distance will not will not be scored and any Men that
ski the women's distance will not be scored.
- Points shall be calculated after each designated Brumbaugh Cup race.
The Brumbaugh Cup winner is the Team with the lowest cumulative points for both
genders combined at all the season's Brumbaugh Cup designated races!