Durango Nordic Ski Club (DNSC) in Durango, Colorado has an opening as the Head Coach for cross country skiing. The position is year-round and begins as soon as a candidate is available, but not later than October 10, 2008.
DNSC has been in existence since 1954 and is a year-round competitive junior cross-country ski program for junior skiers age 8 through 19.
The Head Coach for DNSC is responsible for the oversight and management of the junior race program for junior skiers from J5 through OJ classes. The DNSC Head Coach is answerable to the DNSC Board of Directors or their designated Director of Operations. DNSC is willing to train the right candidate for the Head Coaching job as long as there is dedication to cross country skiing.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide the vision and direction to keep Durango Nordic Ski Club as one of the top programs for junior skiers in the nation.
- Develop a year-round training schedule for the skiers who are training for Junior Nationals, J1 Scando Trip, or World Junior Championships.
- Work with other junior programs within the community so junior skiers can cross train in kayaking, mountain biking, cross country running, soccer and/or other sports and activities.
- Provide leadership and training to the other DNSC coaches.
- Provide help in fundraising development and participation with the Durango Winter Sports Foundation.
- Be creative in how DNSC could attract new members for the club.
- Generate timely and accurate communication with athletes and parents.
- Travel with the DNSC team to all Rocky Mountain Nordic Division Junior National Qualifying races and several major events (US National Championships, Junior National Championships, Super Tour Races, NRL Races, etc.)
- Attend the annual fall & spring meetings of the Rocky Mountain Nordic Division Junior Competition Committee.
- Attend National Coaches Conference for coach’s education as long as it fits within the DNSC budget.
- Be involved in the race organization of any cross country ski races that are conducted by the DNSC.
Compensation for this job is negotiable and will be based on expertise and previous experience in management and coaching of Nordic sports.
To apply: Mail or e-mail letter of application and résumé by August 29, 2008 to:
2613 Arroyo Drive
Durango, Colorado 81301
- Passionate about cross country skiing and training.
- Demonstrate high ethical standards and ability to set a good example in personal conduct.
- Being able to be creative and innovative.
- Paying attention to details.
- Ability to be resourceful.
- Staying up to date on training methods, technique, and equipment for cross country skiing.
- Being comfortable in using a computer especially in Word, Excel, Power Point, and Adobe PDF
For more details and information please contact Mike Elliott or visit Durango Nordic Web Site at www.durangonordic.org