DRAMMEN, Norway (Feb. 19, 2011) - The top results in the men's and women's 15/10k classic for the U.S. Ski Team went to Sadie Bjornsen (Winthrop,WA) in 52nd and Kris Freeman (Andover, NH) in 57th. The top steps of the podium were dominated by Norway and Sweden. The races here have been moved out of the city of Drammen to the Konnerud ski stadium.
In front of over 15,000 spectators, not surprisingly winning the women’s event was Olympic medalist Marit Bjoergen of Norway, with World Cup leader Justyna Kowalczyk in second. The men’s crown Saturday went to Swedish skier Daniel Rickardsson, with Norwegian Martin Johnsrud Sundby taking second.
Following the race Bjornsen talked about her first-ever World Cup race.
"I have to say I had so much fun. There were so many fans out there and once the discovered my last name was a Norwegian name, they were going nuts," she explained, "in my first world cup race, I was not looking for a results, but more of an experience, and I was happy with how I felt."
The weather Saturday was ideal with sunshine and firm tracks. The men and women will return to action in Drammen Sunday with sprint racing.
With but a week to go until the World Championships open in Oslo, the eyes of the nordic world will be focused on the race here, in hopes of a clearcut preview to the Championships. Record crowds are expected to be at Holmenkollen for a nearly sold out championships.
FIS World Cup
Drammen, Norway – Feb. 19, 2011
1. Daniel Rickardsson, Sweden, 37:19.1
2. Martin Johnsrud Sundby, Norway, 37:48.1
3. Petter Northug, Norway, 37:49.1
57. Kris Freeman, Andover, NH, 40:03.7
71. Noah Hoffman, Aspen, CO, 40:34.7
72. Lars Flora, Anchorage, 40:38.2
77. Tad Elliot, Durango, CO, 41:04.2
1. Marit Bjoergen, Norway, 27:31.9
2. Justyna Kowalczyk, Poland, 27:49.2
3. Aino-Kaisa Saarinen, Finland, 27:55.5
51. Sadie Bjornesen, Winthrop, WA, 30:50.6
55. Liz Stephen, E. Montpelier, VT, 31:17.3
59. Ida Sargent, Orleans, VT, 31:36.0
60. Holly Brooks, Anchorage, 31:37.2
62. Morgan Arritola, Sun Valley, ID, 31:48.3
For complete results: www.fis-ski.com