Teichmann, Kowalczyk Wins CL Races in EST
OTEPAEAE, Estonia (Jan. 27) - Kris Freeman (Andover, NH) finished 32nd and Andrew Johnson (Greensboro, VT) 51st Saturday in a windy and snowy World Cup 15K classic technique race won by former World Cup champion Axel Teichmann of Germany.
Teichmann won the four-lap men's race in 41:07.0 with Norway's Frode Estil
second at 41:13.4. Freeman's time was 42:58.3. Poland's Justyna Kowalczyk led
from start to finish of the 10K classic, winning in 30:54.2; no U.S. women
"Kris just got here Thursday - we wanted to delay his arrival because they didn't have much snow [for training], so we didn't have great expectations since it takes a while to adjust...but he'll go tomorrow in the sprint and then when we're back in Davos [Switzerland] for the next races, he'll really settle in," Head Coach Pete Vordenberg said.
"It was gnarly all day. It snowed all through the women's [three-lap] race and then turned to blowing, lots of wind during the men's race." Temperatures were in the low 20s.
Classic technique sprints are on top for Sunday - the men racing a 1.2K loop while the women compete on a 1K course.
VIESSMANN CROSS COUNTRY WORLD CUP
Otepaeae, EST - Jan. 27, 2007
Men's 15K Classic
1. Axel Teichmann, Germany, 41:07.0
2. Frode Estil, Norway, 41:13.4
3. Odd-Bjoern Hjelmeset, Norway, 41:35.7
4. Franz Goering, Germany, 41:44.8
5. Jaak Mae, Estonia, 41:46.4
32. Kris Freeman, Andover, NH, 42:58.3
51. Andrew Johnson, Greensboro, VT, 45:37.1
Women's 10K CL
1. Justyna Kowalczyk, Poland, 30:54.2
2. Virpi Kuitunen, Finland, 31:02.0
3. Valentina shevchenko, Ukraine, 31:08.7
4. Marit Bjoergen, Norway, 31:14.1
5. Marianna Longa, Italy, 31:26.5
(No U.S. women raced)
For complete results: