TARVISIO, Italy (March 15) - Taz Mannix (Anchorage, AK/Alaska Winter Stars/Alaska Pacific U. Nordic/U.S. B Team) was 14th Thursday in the women's 10K freestyle at the 2007 FIS Under-23 Cross Country World Championships.
On the second day of the U-23s, Swiss skiers - each wearing bib No. 4 - swept
both races. Silvana Bucher of Switzerland won the two-lap 10K with a time of
24:28.1 and Mannix finished in 25:21.5. Morgan Arritola (Fairfield, ID/Sun
Valley Ski Education Foundation/U.S. B Team) was 25th.
In the men's 15K FR, Dario Cologna's winning time was 34:57.0, more than 45 seconds ahead of Russian Ilia Chernousov (35:44.2). Top American result in the 40-degree sunshine came from Mike Sinnott (Sun Valley, ID/Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation/Dartmouth College) in 46th place (39:34.0).
The U-23 championships are conducted each season in conjunction with the Junior World Championships. The final races this year are Saturday, the 30K pursuit (15K CL+15K FR) for men and the 20K (10+10) for women.
CROSS COUNTRY UNDER-23 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Tarvisio, ITA - March 15, 2007
Men's 15K Freestyle
1. Dario Cologna, Switzerland, 34:57.0
2. Ilia Chernousov, Russia, 35:44.2
3. Nobu naruse, Japan, 35:46.7
4. Maurice Manificat, France, 35:52.6
5. Curdin Perl, Switzerland, 35:57.2
46. Mike Sinnott, Sun Valley, ID/Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation/Dartmouth College, 39:34.0
47. Brenton Knight, Anchorage, AK/University of Alaska Anchorage, 39:36.5
53. Ben True, Hanover, NH/Dartmouth College, 39:51.5
55. Tyson Flaharty, Fairbanks, AK/Alaska Pacific U. Nordic, 39:54.2
Women's 10K FR
1. Silvana Bucher, Switzerland, 24:28.1
2. Sofia Bleckur, Sweden, 24:47.7
3. Marina Piller, Italy, 24:49.0
4. Alena Prochazkova, Slovakia, 24:57.8
5. Ioulia Tchekaleva, Russia, 24:58.1
14. Taz Mannix, Anchorage, AK/APU Nordic/U.S. B Team, 25:21.5
25. Morgan Arritola, Fairfield, ID/SVSEF/U.S. B Team, 25:55.9
34. Lindsay Williams, Hastings, MN/Northern Michigan U./U.S. B Team, 26:16.9
36. Morgan Smyth, Brattleboro, VT/Northern Michigan U./U.S. B Team, 26:32.9
For complete results: