The 35th running of the American Birkebeiner will take place on Saturday, February 23rd. Ned Zuelsdorff has announced special features, updates and changes for the 35th Anniversary event. Ned said:
- “A major change is the introduction of separate, smaller, 5-minute alternating skating and classic wave starts to ensure a better race day experience for all Birkie and Kortelopet skaters and striders."
- “The Classic Trail will be finished to the high point for Birkie 2008, and that will benefit all skiers with better tracks for classic skiers and an additional skate lane for skaters on the Birkie Trail. Those changes, coupled with alternating 5-minute wave starts, should guarantee a better event for everybody."
- “During the 35th celebration we’ll encourage all skiers to wear traditional clothing and participate in the Welcome Ceremony on Friday with a ski up Mt. Valhalla, and we’ll sponsor a competition for three skiers -- two Birkie warriors and a skier to depict Inga, the mother of baby Prince Haakon – to re-enact the historic rescue of the event that inspired the race."
- “In addition, we’ll unveil an historic musical DVD and a line-up of ski, health and wellness seminars, and we’ll recognize the many Birkie Fever stories that abound."
- “Birkie 2008 will be a fantastic tribute to Tony Wise and a recognition of all the skiers, sponsors, volunteers and businesses who have driven the event for 35 years.”
For more information on the American Birkebeiner events visit www.birkie.com