Vasa Race Update- Monday February 7th 2005 2:30PM
The current weather in Traverse City is rain. The temperatures are starting to fall and the weatherman is predicting snow for later tonight.
Several Vasa Board members just returned from inspecting the trail. The traditional Start/Finish area is bare; however there is a pretty good base a few hundred yards down the trail. Right now we are looking to moving the Start to this location. The trail is too soft right now to inspect the complete course, but the weatherman is calling for falling temperatures this afternoon with the rain turning to snow. If the trail firms up tonight we are going to try to get out tomorrow to check the condition after the rain we have had last night and today. The trail was still in pretty good condition yesterday before it started raining.
As of now we are still planning on holding the race, but a lot will depend on the weather the next few days and the condition of the trail after we are able to inspect it. Please do not call to get race updates, we are unable to handle the volume of calls coming in. We will send out newsletter updates as conditions are evaluated and decisions are made. We will also post the newsletters on our website @ www.vasa.org . You can also send emails to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Remember that registration and packet pick up for the North American Vasa will be at the Northwestern Michigan College Hagerty Center at 715 E. Front St. (located east of the Holiday Inn and across the street from KFC and McDonalds) Hours for registration are noon until 10 pm on Friday February 11th. Race packets and race day registration is also available at the race start area on Saturday morning starting at 7am.
The Vasa pasta feed will be held at the Hagerty Center from 5-8pm on Friday as a fund raiser for the NMC Culinary Arts Program. The menu will include fresh pasta, choice of sauces, bread, salad and lemonade and water. Cost per person is $8.00 and the entire community is welcome.