MALLES, Italy (Feb. 23) - Dartmouth College freshman Ida Sargent (20; Orleans, VT) was 12th Saturday in the 1.3K freestyle sprint opening the 2008 FIS Nordic Junior World Championships. College teammate Rosie Brennan (19; Park City, UT; U.S. Ski Team/National Sports Foundation) was 17th and Dartmouth-bound Sophie Caldwell (17; Peru, VT; Stratton Mountain School) 26th.
Competing in 40-degree sunshine, Laure Barthelemy of France won the sprint gold medal. Sargent, who has been dominant with Brennan in eastern college races this season, made it to semifinals among the field of 74.
In the men's sprint, Swede Calle Halfvarsson won with Kevin Cutts (19; Townshend, VT; Northern Michigan University) posting the top U.S. result in 22nd place. Reid Pletcher (19; Hailey, ID; Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation) was 29th in the field of 99.
The Junior Worlds, which were delayed three weeks and moved from snowless Szczyrk, Poland, are run concurrently with the Under-23 Championships. The next Junior Worlds races are Monday - the men's 10K classical technique race and women's 5K. The U-23s begin Sunday with freestyle sprints.
FIS JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Malles, ITA - Feb. 23, 2008 1.3K
1. Callle Halfvarsson, Sweeden
2. Jesper Modin, Sweeden
3. Raul Shakirzianov, Russia
4. Alex Harvey, Canada
5. Bastien Poirrier, France
22. Kevin Cutts, Townshend, VT (Northern Michigan University)
29. Reid Pletcher, Hailey, ID (Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation)
71. Max Treinen, Anchorage, AK (Alaska Winter Stars/University of Alaska Anchorage)
77. Reese Hanneman, Fairbanks, AK (Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks)
1. Laure Barthelemy, France
2. Aurelie Dabudyk, France
3. Lucia Anger, Germany
4. Hanna Kolb, Germany
5. Marina Matrosova, Kazakhstan
12. Ida Sargent, Orleans, VT (Dartmouth College)
17. Rosie Brennan, Park City, UT (U.S. Ski Team/National Sports Foundation/Dartmouth College)
26. Sophie Caldwell, Peru, VT (Stratton Mountain School)
66. Alexa Turzian, Sun Valley, ID (U.S. Ski Team/ Sun Valley Education Foundation)
Click here for complete results.