Several trail projects are moving forward:
- The bridge located in Duffy's field, about ¼ mile before the Birkie reaches Lake Hayward is being replaced. The old wooden bridge was no longer safe and was removed a week ago. The concrete abutments have been installed and steel I-beams and a wooden deck with railings will be installed over the next month. The 54' bridge spans a trout stream and will be completed by Fall. We share the bridge with snowmobiles and it will become part of a new walking-running-bicycling trail. Two DNR trail grants are covering much of the $72,000 cost.
- We are remodeling the "OO" warming cabin. The changing room side of the building is being expanded. Both sides of the building structure will have wooden storage cubes for daily use, and new tables and seats will be installed. Deconstruction begins next week and the project should be completed in a few weeks. There will be temporary closing of the building areas during the remodel.
- We are almost ready to begin the expansion of the parking area on the north side of the "OO" trail head. Heavy use this past winter has created a need for the expansion to assure safety of trail users. The expanded lot will accommodate an additional 120+ cars. The expanded area will be logged and bulldozed and then planted to vegetation rather that graveled since use will be in the winter.
- Mowing of the Birkie, Birkie Classic and Kortelopet trails will be completed over the next week. They will again be mowed in September.
- Corners at C24K+ and C25K on the Classic Trail will be revised slightly this Fall, well in time for the ski season.
These projects are part of our continued effort to maintain and improve our trail facilities. You can help by becoming a Birkie Trail Friend. More information is available here.