There was a hope that the cancelled Boyne Highlands Freestyle could be resurrected on the Vasa Trail at Timber Ridge in Traverse City. Alas, it has fallen through. Says Curt Peterson,
We unfortunately will not be able to hold a replacement race this Saturday at Timber Ridge/VASA. Thanks Gordon for offering your Timber Ridge lodge and to Todd and others who helped with the communications and the permitting process with the local DNR. We also thank our local DNR rep for his willingness to move a permit thru in less than a week (which normally takes up to 60 days). Thanks Justin for loaning us timing equipment in anticipation of holding a race.
The bottom line is that the cost to hold a one day race on the VASA state land is prohibitive when spread out over 90 skiers vs. what is done on VASA weekend when the 2 day event has over 1000 participants. Additionally we would not know if our permit was actually approved until later this week.
But there is an effort to hold the race at Huron Meadows Metropark in Brighton, MI. With 15" on snow last week, conditions have been excellent, and the snow did very well with Sunday night's rain. There are a few details to be worked out, but if the snow holds, we should be able to hold a freestyle race on Saturday.
More news later...