What is the forecast?
- 40% chance of snow on Friday with 70% chance of additional snowfall predicted after midnight.
What is the course like?
- Current conditions are poor. Wednesday’s
52-degree temps, sunshine and rain created bare spots. The trail is
hard-packed with icy spots.
- We need 3” of new snow to have a safe course and race.
- A final race decision will be announced on
Friday at 9 p.m. in the lobby at Telemark Lodge and posted on the
Birkie website and sent to all skiers and media.
Why not postpone until Sunday?
- Medical and law enforcement personnel are from out of the region and most are unable to stay beyond Saturday.
- The Birkie cannot run with skeleton crews.
What are the Wave start times for the Birkie and Kortelopet?
- The Birkie has been shortened to a 23K race with wave starts delayed 2 hours, beginning with elite men at 10:20 a.m.
- The Kortelopet has been shortened to an 18K
race with wave starts delayed 2 hours, beginning with Wave 1 at 10:30
a.m. The Kortelopet will start and finish at Telemark.
What about transponder timing chips?
- You must wear your race bib to pick up your
transponder timing chip which will be assigned to you on Saturday
morning in the lobby in the Red Arrow Room at Telemark Lodge.
- Distribution will begin at 6 a.m.
What about classic tracks?
- If we get 3” of additional snow, classic tracks will be set including on the new Birkie Classic Trail.
What about bussing?
- Bussing begins at 6 a.m.
- As usual in Hayward area for hotels/motels and Dorm Housing to Start.
- There will be bussing from the OO finish
line to designated parking lots and Telemark and to Hayward with skier
drop-off in front of the Courthouse on Main Street between 4th and 5th.
- Spectators will be bussed from Telemark to
OO, leaving from the bus drop-off area at Telemark Lodge.There will be
no return busses from Hayward to Cable.
What about the Junior Birkie?
- The Junior Birkie will be held on a 2.5 k loop starting at 9 a.m. on Friday
- CXC Central High School Championship race will be part of the individual race followed by the high school relay race
What about the Prince Haakon?
- The race will be a 7-8 k race starting and finishing at Telemark Lodge at 1:30 p.m.
- Skiers will meet in the lobby at 12:45 p.m.
- The course will be from the Birkie start line over onto Telemark’s trails and returning to Telemark Lodge
What about the CheqTel 5K/10K Family Race?
- This will be a combined 5K race on Telemark’s Fever Trail beginning on Friday at 2:15 p.m.
- Registration will take place at Telemark Lodge
Do you offer refunds?
- While we would love to offer refunds, we are
unable to do so as most costs have already been incurred. We continue
to do the best we can.