I went for a ski with Kris this morning - his first since the Beitostolen race day. He’s feeling a bit better, once again today, but still not good enough to make this weekend a sure bet. His heart rates were running about 20 bpm high during the ski today, and was able to keep up with him for the whole 45 minutes, which means the pace wasn’t out of hand. On the other hand, he felt decent skiing, didn’t hack anything up or blow anything out, and doesn’t feel any worse for wear after a short nap and some lunch.
We had all hoped that his status would be certain by now, and it’s not. The major goal of this first period is to see some representative race efforts. He’s got three race weekends ahead of him, and a premature effort this weekend resulting in prolonged fatigue and illness would be the worst case scenario. I’ll only be here through this weekend, but as badly as I want to see him race I’ll support a decision to sit-out the races this weekend if that looks like a smart thing. In any case, no decision will be made today. We’ll go for another short ski tomorrow and see how things are shaping up.
Reprinted with permission from the Kris Freeman website at http://www.krisfreeman.net/. Copyright © Zach Caldwell and Kris Freeman